I also am using coconut coire either for the whole substrate or mixed half and half with potting soil .
Above are the trays that I weighed down for 3 days, then I flipped the tray to keep them in the dark.
Slowbolt Arugula Waltham Broccoli Red Acre Cabbage Amaranth Beets Basil Sunflower Speckled Pea
Along with the microgreen shots, I am experimenting with salad cups.
I had some concerns up here in Oregon that I didn’t in Palm Springs. I am worried about the temperature and the humidity as well.
So I used the coconut coire to lightly cover the seeds. I learned that from Pepe a microgreen grower that feels it is a very neutral substance that will keep the seeds protected. So he puts a light coating over the top of the seeds.
Dec 18 day 4
What a disappointment this has been to see the beets and the amaranth dying.
It looks to me like either too much water or a fungus that eventually rots the stem. Sometimes referred to as damping off, it is a fungus that eventually rots the seedlings. They looked as if they were doing fine then they are starting to collapse and fall over, or just wither. The beets are falling faster. Not a good Christmas present but I should expect some. Also the seeds may be too crowded.
I immediately took the towels off the new crop fearing that I am creating too damp and warm an environment for the fungus to grow. It is not getting any ventilation either. I shot them with a bit of hydrogen peroxide.